Listening to the Radio at Work Calmed My Autistic / ADHD Mind

In the right circumstances, it can be quite effective

Personal radio, in-ear headphones and computer keyboard on a workbench. The words "Listening to the radio helped me to focus at work. ADHD. Autism"
The personal radio I used to use at work. Photo taken by the author.

Recently, I've had to run a lot of errands, which has meant I've been driving quite a lot. I'd forgotten how much calmer I feel when driving for non-urgent purposes, especially if the radio is on and traffic is light.

That made me think about how I used to listen to the radio at work, when I did electronic design and programming for about 20 years.

I was lucky to have been employed by a small company, where the people didn't really mind. But there were times when I clashed with the boss about my choice of radio station, especially when we shared an office from time to time!

When music was playing, it didn't usually interfere with what I was doing.

(Some songs were impossible to ignore though!)

When people were talking on the radio, sometimes I would listen to them.

Perhaps that sounds unproductive, but it often served as a much-needed break from the work.

The radio didn't just help me to work, it changed the way it felt to be in the building. With the radio on, it was more relaxing. I felt more at-ease, and could escape into a state of flow more quickly.

Without the radio, it felt cold, harsh and intimidating.

I remember there being a few occasions when I needed complete silence, to work something out in my mind. But most of the time, I performed better with the radio.

When my employer closed down, and I had to find a new job, I ended up working for a larger organisation. It was a massive change. For the first few months I worked in silence, in a room by myself.

After a while, I became aware that one or two people were wearing headphones. By that point, I felt that I'd proven my worth as an employee, so I brought in a small personal radio and in-ear headphones.

The radio transformed the way I felt about working there - I don't think I could have stayed long-term without it.

(Some colleagues did not seem to think that someone could work efficiently with any kind of music playing, but I proved them wrong.)

When visitors came around, I would always remove the headphones. But secretly, I felt a little annoyed if I was going to miss something good.

I love music. But yet I've not listened to very much at all in recent months.

Tonight, whilst writing this, I have headphones on.

(I'm listening to The Best of Sade, in case you wanted to know.)

It's really settled my mind, and enabled me to focus on what I'm doing.

I should do this more often!

Thank You

I hope you enjoyed reading this article. Please consider supporting me by:

  • Visiting my ko-fi.com page ☕️😊
  • Responding to this article, or sharing it online
  • Reading my articles on Medium

It really helps, and means a lot to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Left the Autism Support Group

The NHS Autism Assessment for Adults in the UK — My Experience

Attending an Informal Meet-Up Group for Autistic Adults — My First Weeks