Choosing What to Keep Is Difficult

An example of my decision-making difficulties

Three small Yamaha music keyboards. One has stereo speakers and is slightly bigger. The other two are the same model, and have one speaker.
Three of the small music keyboards I still have. Photo taken by the author.

Recently, I emptied 27 years of clutter out of my loft, to prepare for reroofing. Despite getting rid of a fair amount, the rest of it is now spread around the house, and I wish it would all magically disappear. 

Most of the larger and easier items have been dealt with. Some things were sold on eBay. Some went to the tip. (Sadly, the charity shops are still closed due to lockdown, which does not help.)

I feel overwhelmed by how much remains to be done. 

I am struggling to identify any particular category. There are lots of small miscellaneous items, which makes for very slow progress. 

My mind seems to hop from one area to another, and from one type of item to another. 

I started looking at some old music keyboards, which I bought on eBay about 15 years ago. At the time, I hoped to inspire my children to take an interest in music, but that never happened. 

I used to like having one of the small keyboards nearby, just to play with from time to time. But I’ve not done that for a few years now, because they’ve been stored away. 

It would seem sensible to get rid of two, and keep one. And the larger one would seem the obvious one to keep. 

But despite its advantages, I liked the fact that the smaller ones were easier to accommodate on my armchair, and just that little bit easier to pick up with one hand. 

So I’m torn between keeping the ‘biggest and best’, and keeping a smaller one that I tended to use most often in the past. 

Perhaps this is why it takes me ten times longer than most people… but if I’m not careful, I’ll eventually make an impulsive choice, due to the sheer frustration resulting from the lack of progress.

Thank You

I hope you enjoyed reading this article. Please consider supporting me by:

  • Visiting my ko-fi.com page ☕️😊
  • Responding to this article, or sharing it online
  • Reading my articles on Medium

It really helps, and means a lot to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Left the Autism Support Group

The NHS Autism Assessment for Adults in the UK — My Experience

Attending an Informal Meet-Up Group for Autistic Adults — My First Weeks